Profitable Bible study involves more than just opening to a chapter and reading the words on the pages. The following are seven guidelines to help us make the most of our study of God’s word:
- Set aside a regular time Unless we schedule a specific and uninterrupted time for Bible study, we will more than likely neglect Bible study.
- Before we start reading Let’s ask God for help in understanding the text.
- Carefully think about what we are reading Not all of the Bible’s treasures lie like pebbles on the surface. To mine the gold, we have to dig.
- Seek to understand what the author was communicating to the people who first read the book or letter before we decide how to properly apply it today.
- Write down at least one truth or principle we can put into everyday practice.
- Try different translations of the Bible If we find ourself skimming over familiar words, a new translation might focus our mind on a passage in a new way.
- Let’s not get discouraged Some parts of the Bible are more interesting than others, and some we may not understand immediately. But there’s enough that we can understand, revolutionizing our life if we apply it.
Let’s read Proverbs 2:1-9 with the above guidelines in mind. Then try studying again tomorrow, remembering that the Bible’s treasures are found by those who dig for them.
When reading God’s Word, take special care
To find the rich treasures hidden there;
Give thought to each line, each precept clear,
Then practice it well with godly fear. Anonymous
Related Audio Sermons:
- Christian Bible Commentary